Monday, August 5, 2013

Archie...



Archie, a foundling Shih Tzu, came into Pam's and my life in November 2007.  Both she and I are quite interested in fostering and adopting special needs dogs.  Archie, although he was not a special needs doggy until the past few months, became a very special pet to the two of us.

We were helping out at Canine Christmas, an annual event involving various dog rescue groups that is held each November here in Bradenton.  While she was assisting the South Florida Shih Tzu Rescue, I was working at the snack bar and hardly saw her for a few hours.  As things were winding down and the snack bar was cleaned up, I headed over to help Pam and her friend, Dianne, load up Dianne's car.  Sitting nearby was a decrepit looking black and white Shih Tzu.  Pam asked me if we could pleeeeease take him home.  He had been brought by Underdog Rescue, which was located next to Dianne's shih tzu rescue.  To me it was love at first sight, and I replied yes.  Pam was thrilled at my agreeing to adopt him, as I had declined to adopt other dogs in the past.

We brought him home and started to care for him.  He had an eye inflamation at the time and, after taking him to our vet (and neighbor), Mary Smart, she referred him to an veterinary opthamologist who, as it turned out, studied under a very good friend of mine, Dick Dubielzig, at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine.  He underwent several treatments but whipped the infection and kept his sight.  He was such a joy to have as a part of our lives.

He was so laid back--in fact, the most laid back--dog we have ever had.  He took things one day at a time, never snapped at or bit anyone or any other of five the dogs we also care for.  He only barked when he wanted to get up on the bed and, occasionally, when he needed to go O-U-T to take care of business.  Usually, he'd either walk into the great room and park himself in front of me or would just go to the front door and let out a muted "woof!".  Archie was pretty good about going for walks in the morning but, over the past year, they became few and far between.  Finally the walks ended and he would only go so far as the yard.

Pam and I have had many pets throughout our marriage, but none compare to Archie.  I have often noted to folks that Archie was "...the neatest dog we've ever had".  I truly mean that.  Chloe is the friendliest--one who has never met a stranger--but Archie was in a class by himself.  He'd snuggle when he needed to, but the most favorite thing to do was get laid out on a body pillow at the end of the bed.  He claimed ownership of it when were visiting our best friend, Linda, in Miami a few years ago.  Linda had it on the guest bed and Archie got comfortable on it and refused to get off it.  Gracious as Linda was, she insisted we bring it home for him to lay on.  He and the other dogs loved laying on it so much, that I had to lay in a second one a couple years ago--the second one for the great room, where he spent much of his time.  Right now, one of our other foundlings, Bella, is curled up on top of it.

R.I.P. Archie.  You were a wonderful companion and we know you'll be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge when our times come.

1 comment:

MrsS2rt said...

I'm so sorry about Archie. :( I know you two loved that dog and I know he will be missed. Love and hugs to you and Pam.