Saturday, October 2, 2021

Growth of a Progressive

 I find that I have become further and further left of center as I age.  I have always had liberal leanings since the time of JFK.  Even though I attended a conservative Methodist college in the Bible Belt, I learned critical thinking and not to take at face value all that i was told.  My liberalism grew through the Civil Rights and Vietnam era of the 1960s, until it plateaued in the 1980s.  It then started to morph into a more progressive view of the world.  


Even though I spent my career in insurance, the most conservative of industries next to banking, I did not allow that to influence my thinking.  To my mind, the purpose of insurance is to get folks back to where they were before whatever the loss or accident occurred—NOT to make unseemly profits for the stockholders.  I had to be, in short, the most liberal insurance person in town.


In retirement, I find that I am more a Progressive than ever before.  Proud to be a Berniecrat but, considering the reactionary conservatism in the country, I am left with no choice.  Joe Biden wasn’t my first choice for President, nor was he my second.  He’s doing what he can but with a Congress that is unable or unwilling to work together for the good of the country, I ache to think of how it will be for my grandchildren and their future.  I was thinking/hoping that Donald Dump was merely a hiccup in our history.  Unfortunately, that seems not to be the case.


They say a person becomes more conservative as they grow older.  Perhaps, but not if they’re paying attention…

No comments: