Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day One of the Trek North

Well, I started the drive to Wisconsin this morning, leaving Miami where I had taken Pam and the dogs yesterday to stay with our best friend, Linda, until I return next week. Leaving Linda's around 9:30 or so this morning, I made a leisurely drive back home to Bradenton. Rather than taking I-75, which would have been quicker, I took our preferred route--I-95 to Fort Lauderdale where I caught I-595; then west to U.S. 27, where I turned north to drive up the spine of the Florida peninsula.

At the recommendation of a good friend, Craig Fannes, I stopped at "Julio's Cafe Tropical" in Clewiston, FL for a great meal consisting of filete de pollo pimienta (sauteed chicken w/green pepper and onion), rice, black beans, fried plantains and an ice cold Corona cerveza. As Craig suggested, the price was quite reasonable--only $9.98 TOTAL! Fortunately, I got there just before the place filled up for lunch. By the time I left, there was nary a seat left in the house. What the place lacks in ambiance, it more than makes up in tasty food and reasonable prices. It is definitely making my list of places to stop for lunch on future trips to and from Miami.

Leaving Julio's behind, I continued north at a very leisurely pace. I had no place to get to, other than home, so I just set the cruise control on 60 and enjoyed a nice drive back to the house, by way of State Route 70, thru the quaint town of Arcadia, FL and on to Bradenton.

I am now catching my breath, planning on an early shower and restful evening watching the Tampa Bay Rays and getting an early start tomorrow, heading out to Panama City, FL to take Mom out for dinner and spend the night with my brother, Gene and his wife, Regina. While I'm not really looking forward to sitting still for the long drive north, I am looking forward to the solitude such affords and seeing more than just a sandy peninsula that juts off the southeastern portion of the United States.

1 comment:

Cleopatra's grandmother said...

you might want to download an audio book for the trip. have a safe one.