Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day Two of the Trek North

Well, I'm finally well on the way to Wisconsin. Leaving home at about 5:45 this morning after a good night's sleep, I took the Sunshine Skyway over Tampa Bay and kept heading north until making a left turn at the Big Bend of Florida and am now in Panama City. The trip was uneventful, as I expected--no cops; no accidents; and no dead animals (that I caused, anyway). One thing did strike me, though: I had not seen a crop duster since leaving central Wisconsin in 1980. But yesterday, on the drive from Miami and this morning about halfway between Bradenton and Panama City I saw two crop dusters. How unusual is that? None in the past thirty years and now two in two days. Life can be strange at times.

I stopped in to see Mom when I blew into town and am now chilling at my brother's house with their three dachshunds: Jazzy, Heidi, and Sally. This evening we are taking Mom out for dinner at a local beach eatery, Pineapple Willy's. After another anticipated good night's sleep, I'll be headed north once again, passing thru Montgomery and Birmingham, AL and Nashville, TN on my way to Paducah, KY where I plan to spend the night. Weather looks to be good for the entire trip to Madison and I can only hope it stays that way. 'til then...

No comments: