Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day in Wisconsin

Had another great day in southern Wisconsin, the highlight being a trip to Miller Park in Milwaukee to watch my beloved Brewers go up against the St. Louis Cardinals. The game was close for the first seven innings, but St. Louis broke it open with six runs in the eighth inning. The Crew made a bit of a comeback in the eighth and ninth innings and had the tying run at the plate when the final out was made and they lost 8-6.

But I digress. When David and I arrived at the stadium, I was a bit thirsty and all I could think about was a cold beer. Once inside we found a bar with a short line and the both of us had a good old Wisconsin beer--Leinenkugel's Classic Amber. Of course, being at a ballgame in Milwaukee, one has to have a classic Brewer Brat. Once we got to the Terrace Level (level 4, or top level, for the uninitiated), we found a food stand and I got my brat. Unfortunately, while I ordered one with kraut and Stadium Sauce (in fact the guy repeated back to me, "kraut and sauce?"), once we got to our seats in the middle of row 18, I opened my brat up only to find there was no sauce. David, the dutiful and considerate son, offered to trade with me, as he had put sauce on his. Reluctantly, yet eagerly, I accepted his offer. While it was not like the old County Stadium days when they'd slosh the brat in a pan of heated Stadium Sauce and throw on the sauerkraut before serving it to you, this will have to do.

Made it back to his place and I was thirsty the whole way because of the aforementioned brat. Couldn't wait to get my hands on a cold Landshark Lager that was awaiting me in the fridge. Never had a beer that hit the spot more than that one did. Now, I am watching my other team, the Tampa Bay Rays getting schlomped by my former favorite team, the Boston Red Sox, in the 5th inning 11-2. Oh well, I guess you can't win 'em all. Tomorrow's another day.

No comments: